When it comes to painting, everyone starts out on an even playing field—those that paint well have built their skills over time. Doing so, however, requires patience, and for you to put brush to canvas (or paper) and increase your aptitude stroke by stroke. We’ve seen this happen in a drawing; just a few years of drawing practice can mean the difference between a sketch that’s just okay and one that shows extraordinary talent.
Once you’ve got your watercolor, acrylic, or even oil paint, you can get started right away on honing your craft. But even having all the right supplies can’t save you from the dreaded creative block; sometimes, you just can’t think of anything to paint! Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of over 50 prompts that are jumping off points for your work. The easy painting ideas are divided into two lists—one is inspired by life while the other challenges you to use your imagination.
When looking through the list, consider the following: what sounds like fun to paint? What will challenge you to get better? Are there certain techniques you’d like to try? A leafy tree, for instance, gives you the opportunity to experiment with texture, while imagining these subjects in monochrome is a great exercise in understanding tonality, light, and shadow.
As you begin to tackle this list, make sure you’ve got your paint supplies on point. We have recommendations for three of the most popular types of paint. Check out our guides for the best watercolor paint sets, top acrylic paint, and best oil paints that beginners and pros will love.
Painting Ideas That Anyone Can Try
Easy painting ideas inspired by real life:
- Your favorite coffee mug
- A prickly pear cactus
- Your furry friend
- A tranquil lake scene
- Your eye and eyebrow (try observing from real life)
- A leafy tree
- Your childhood home
- A piece of cloth draped over a chair
- Fluffy clouds
- A bouquet of flowers in a vase
- A cardinal on a branch…
- …or a wise owl
- A curling ocean wave (check out Ray Collins’ wave photographs for inspiration!)
- Copy a masterpiece painting of an artist you admire
- A bowl of fruit
- Fish underwater
- A portrait of yourself when you were a kid
- Your hand or foot
- Your favorite collection of things
- A building facade you’ve always admired
- Someone standing under an umbrella while it’s raining
- A street illuminating a dark street
- A peacock’s colorful plumage
- The Eiffel tower, or any other memorable landmark
- Decorative tiles you’ve admired
- Your mode of transportation (car, bike, scooter, skateboard…)
- A reflective object such as an orb
- Your favorite insect
The post 50+ Painting Ideas That Will Inspire You to Pick Up a Brush Right Now appeared first on My Modern Met.