More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
Listen beautiful relax classics on our Youtube channel.
- In advance of the midterms, Barbara Kruger reprises MOCA mural that asks ‘Who is beyond the law?’
- Jenny Holzer speaks out about the added impact of the abuse of power in the Trump era.
- Fierce Pussy releases poster urging people to vote.
- New York museums drop Saudi funding after journalist’s murder.
- Khashoggi scandal leads art world to rethink ties to Saudi Crown Prince.
- The 11 best booths at the 45th edition of the International Contemporary Art Fair (FIAC).
- At Hong Kong’s latest round of auctions, work by western artists reached a new high.
- Identity thieves scammed Sotheby’s out of $5 million, the FBI Says.
- Christie’s will offer five works from the de Menil Family, including a rare masterpiece Rothko.
- How is the market for Middle Eastern art faring?
- Jerry Saltz: How does the art world live with itself.
- What do art critics actually do?
- Back from the brink of bankruptcy, China’s UCCA launches new seaside museum.
- The 57th Carnegie International in Pittsburgh is beautiful but safe.
- MCA Santa Barbara names Abaseh Mirvali as executive director and chief curator.
- A new documentary perfectly captures the passion and absurdity of the art market.
How high art helped make Paris’s gallery scene hip again.
- Artist Andrea Fraser’s “2016 in Museums, Money, and Politics” is an all about art reference book.
- ‘Colour became the subject’—Phoebe Unwin on her new series of paintings.
- Why Yasumasa Morimura places himself in art history’s most famous scenes.
- A new exhibition at Alison Jacques Gallery, explores what it means to be a woman artist.
- A brief history of female rage in art.
- After four decades, painter Joan Semmel still refuses to romanticize the human body.
- Anni Albers weaves her magic at Tate Modern.
- Why we need to bust old myths about artist-brand collaborations.
- New Banksy video shows how his sensational Sotheby’s stunt was SUPPOSED to work.
- Northern California artists rebuild from the ashes a year after the devastating wildfires.
- How Sigmund Freud’s massive art collection influenced his theories.
- Charles White is the reason why Kerry James Marshall and David Hammons became artists.
- The 19th-Century Botanist who changed the course of photography.
- Pop artist Mel Ramos, best known for his racy depictions of women and candy, dies at 83.
- Bruce Nauman’s seismic impact on contemporary art goes unnoticed.
- ‘It’s hard at this particular moment to be optimistic’—Edward Burtynsky on the future of the planet.
- Artists are taking back control at the São Paulo Biennial.
- Sex Pistols artist Jamie Reid calls out Hirst and Emin as Thatcher’s children.
The art practice that Dr. Seuss kept hidden from the world.
- The puppeteer and costume designer who made Big Bird beloved by millions.
- This is the art dealer who once fired Van Gogh from his only stable job.
- Psychorealism by the sea with Grace Pailthorpe and Reuben Mednikoff.
- Legendary designer Paula Scher on how to get started in graphic design.
- How four months in Martinique helped Gauguin make his name.
4 expert tips for making a winning art school portfolio.
- 6 artists working as teachers share the lessons they’ve learned.
- How nuclear testing transformed the land in Nevada and New Mexico.