Update: The chair has been claimed.
I’ve just completed this comb-back stick chair in oak with a blue-green paint finish and am offering it for sale for $1,200 plus domestic shipping.
Listen beautiful relax classics on our Youtube channel.
The chair is based on the Scottish Darvel chair, and it is designed for dining or keyboarding. The seat is 17” off the floor, and the back tilts at 15°. The overall height of the chair is just under 42”.
Construction features of this chair:
- The stretchers are pitched low on the legs, giving the chair an old-school stance.
- The legs are joined to the seat using tapered and wedged tenons. The more you sit on the seat, the tighter the joints become.
- All joints are put together with hide glue, so the chair is easily repairable by future generations.
- The arm and comb are steambent oak with no short grain.
- The oak seat is gently saddled by hand, like many vernacular chairs.
- All surfaces are finished with edge tools (planes and scrapers). So all the surfaces feature fine facets.
- The finish is a hand-brushed and durable acrylic paint.
This design is one of the chairs featured in my forthcoming “The Stick Chair Book.”
Send an email to [email protected]. Ask as many questions as you like, but the first person to say “I’ll take it” gets it. The price includes a custom wooden crate and packing. Shipping is via common carrier. Typically shipping runs $100 to $200, depending on the destination. Delivery is free within 100 miles of Cincinnati. You can also pick the chair up at our storefront.
— Christopher Schwarz